Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Back to the Ball

As the idea of building four original costumes for the Centennial Ball grew increasingly overwhelming, I grew less inclined to tackle the project. My friends and I are still planning to attend the event February 24th, however, we will be wearing gowns from my existing costume trunk. The four of us are going as the daughters of a missions-minded minister in 1907. Rachael and Laura are donning Edwardian afternoon gowns of ivory linen; Andrea is to appear in an embroidered Empire gown that we shall pretend is our great-grandmother's wedding gown from 1807. I am the eldest of the group and something of an old maid. My costume consists of a brown walking skirt, which I shall pair with a frothy ivory blouse and an "antique" brooch. To unify our costumes, we will all wear blue sashes in shades suited to our complexions. Our excitement is mounting; I am certainly relieved my sewing responsibilities will be limited to making sashes and taking a tuck here and there.

No comments: